"Green & White Past, Present, Future"
St. Joseph's College has a
history of over a hundred and twenty years. In 1875, six La
Salle Brothers took over St. Saviour's College, which was
founded in 1860, and renamed it as St. Joseph's College.
In 1876, the College expanded
and moved from its original premises in Pottinger Street to a
larger one at 9 Caine Road, known as Buxley Lodge. Five years
later, a lack of space again resulted in the College being
moved to Glenealy below Robinson Road. Then, in 1918, an
earthquake caused severe damage to the premises and the school
had to move again to the present site - 7 Kennedy Road,
formerly known as the Club Germania (the German Club).
Now, the building where the F.
1-4 classes are situated was erected in 1920; at that time the
number of students was about 650. In 1925, the chapel block
was completed and in 1963 the block on Kennedy Road was
replaced by the present building. The new building was opened
by Sir Robert Black, the then Governor of Hong Kong. In 1968,
in order to admit more students, the primary section was
transferred to an independent establishment at 48 Wood Road,
Wanchai. In 1974 St. Joseph's Kindergarten was established on
the top floor of the Primary School Building.
After years of growth, St.
Joseph's College now provides education for about 4,200
students in the Kindergarten, Primary and College. The College
has produced highly competitive and versatile students, and a
large number of them have been successful in their careers.